Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Grass Isn't Always Greener, But I Promise It's Better

It took me moving out of Arizona to realize why I love it so much. Which basically is a total cliché, but hey it’s true. Our parents are natives and their parents are natives and their parents are native, so to say we are from Arizona is kinda an understatement.

When I first moved away to Mississippi, it happened to be a particularly rainy summer. I thought I’d be excited about that. I mean come on; it’s a requirement, all Arizonans LOVE the rain. However, after two weeks of nonstop rain in the cold (meaning 50-60 degrees, I told you I’m from AZ) weather, I was so sick of it! And then it hit me, my heart only belongs to Arizona’s rain. She had me at monsoon. (Swoon.) I love how the calm, blue sky gets suddenly temperamental and turns to shades of blue, gray and steel. The swirling dust suddenly becomes a rowdy student being called to settle down by the teacher. And the smells of that settling dust as it becomes wet with gloriously pure rain, I tell you if it came in a perfume I’d buy it. The rain brings just enough cool and clean to make the desert sparkle better than Windex.

Speaking of perfume, where the heck is the Arizona Orange Blossom Perfume? Is there no sweeter scent in this world? We go through those horribly, freezing winters ;) and then spring blesses us so kindly with the orange blossoms. That’s how Arizona is, constantly blessing the lives those who live there.

When someone talks about how the desert is bland and ugly, it’s like peeing on my cornflakes. Are you kidding me? Have you seen the sunsets? Do you not recognize God and beauty when you see it? There isn’t a more beautiful sight. The way the vibrant shades of pink, yellow and orange fuse together, it’s more delicious than butter melting on a blueberry muffin. Have you not seen the Grand Canyon? Me neither, but still I’ve seen pictures, and that place is majestic. Have you ever been up North? Greer, AZ? Aka the most gorgeous place on earth? Its beauty is sacred and spiritual. I love it so much one of my girls is named after the place. And what about when a Suarro blossom blooms? Do you not understand a miracle when you see it? Those cacti are the most resilient plants ever, and then they still have it in them to produce a blossom? Talk about strength. I see the beauty in that.

Let me tell you, I live in LA right now, of course LA is known for their traffic, but no one mentions how bad their freeways totally suck. Hellloooo, Arizona’s freeways! I’d drive them any day! Especially when they can take me places like Last Chance, Hobby Lobby (not one in LA), Carolina’s, Tia Rosas, Pete’s, Neilsens’, Costa Vida, El Charro, Gecko Grill, and the list goes on and on and on. The food…don’t even get me started…my stomach is growling…that is a whole other post…
 
Here is some extra proof how much I love AZ, in case you didn't believe me. This pic hangs in our living room:

In case you can't tell, on the outer edges are all the places Wesley and I want to visit someday; yet in the center where my heart is, where I want to end up...Arizona. Now, if I could only convince my husband...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I feel bad because sometimes I feel like I have left Arizona behind. I think I am just trying to be realistic because I know the chances of me ending up there are not very good. Sometimes I do feel like I just want to pack everything up and go back. Kinda like Eliza did, ha ha. Last time I was there I did feel myself getting reattached. I don't know though. There is nothing like the desert rain, or the orange blossoms. I think maybe you should look in to having your own perfume line ha ha! Love you~

Aliece said...

The smell of the dust when it rains and the smell of the desert - creosote bush to be exact - that's the smell of rain in the desert! Maybe you should start a home fragrance line! Pray for Greer! That's the area of the Wallow Fire right now. 22 homes in Greer have been lost, others damaged. It's bigger than the city of Phoenix. Thank environmentalists for too dense forest lands, about 900 trees an acre when it should be 50-60 trees. That's a post for another day! AZ misses you, Miche and Neils and fams!!!

Eliza said...

I tried to comment on this awhile ago but I had trouble with the comment format thing. I just changed it and let's hope this works better for people. I struggle because there is so much I miss about Rexburg and since this is the time of year that I love being there the most I am really missing it right now. Ask me in the winter and I'll be totally in love with AZ. Except for monswoon season. I am looking forward to that, hurry up and get here!

Grannie Wright said...

Tara, I know you left this post a long, long time ago... But I finally got my posting working... We really miss you guys and Michelle and Neils! But when we were in Wyoming, I missed home sooo bad! I started crying when all the kids left. So I know where you are coming from! Love, Mom