Sunday, March 27, 2011

Book Review- Midwives


I recently read Midwives by Chris Bohjalian on the recommendation of my sister Tara. It's always surprising to me to read a book from a woman's point of view written by a man. And actually from the point of view of a teenage girl. She is relating the story of a delivery by her midwife mother gone bad and how if affected all of their lives. It was definitely an interesting read especially considering the fact that I have 5 children, all delivered in a hospital, and am currently pregnant.


I will admit that the first 100 pages or so, while the story was developing, were fairly graphic and somewhat difficult for me as a pregnant woman to digest. But, once I got past that part I found the story engaging and intriguing and I finished the book pretty quickly. In my opinion it wasn't an "I can't put this book down" type of book but it was good and I did enjoy it.


My knowledge of midwives is probably average as far as the profession goes so I loved getting to read more in detail some of what they experience during the prenatal and birthing process. Honestly, I've never really considered using a midwife in my own life but the whole situation is extremely fascinating to me. I say, to each her own when it comes to childbirth, although I will admit to thinking that some women are crazy to want to have a child at home. I have certain fears of birthing complications and my mind feels more at ease delivering in a hospital with a doctor who is capable of performing emergency surgery if so needed. Let's face it, how many thousands of women and babies have died during childbirth without the miracles of modern medicine? That being said, I do wonder what it would be like to deliver a baby at home without any medication or monitors to aid in the process and when I hear other women talk of the experience it does pique my curiosity, but not enough to actually go through with it (or give up that sweet epidural).


Anyway, I do recommend this book to anyone who has ever had a child or who hopes to one day have a child or who has found themselves intrigued with the process of childbirth and midwifery. I'm not sure that many men would find this book interesting although I could be completely wrong on this. Except for my husband who frequently comments on the books that I check out for him by saying, "I think this is more along the lines of something YOU would read."

4 comments:

Tara said...

Very good review, Lize. I agree it does take a bit to get into it, and it's not like a book you can't put it down book either. However, it is totally worth reading, and I am glad you thought so too. I do think it was well written. But, I got to ask do you think the daughter was wrong to do what she did for her mother? I love a good controvery and I am afraid my own opinion may be swayed from personal experience of a family member going to jail...Thoughts?

Eliza said...

Tara, I hope I can say this without ruining it for anyone else. I definitely had my own opinions as to how things should have turned out and so what the daughter did did not really affect the outcome that I wanted, although what she did was wrong I was more forgiving because of her age. And I don't believe the "law" is always right.

Michelle said...

Hmmm, this review definitely intrigued me and made me want to read it. However I do have a hard time with books if they don't grab me quick and lock me in. We will see. I love the review.

Grannie Wright said...

Now I am definitely curious. I always read nonfiction though. Not sure where I got that from. I highly recommend "Three Cups of Tea."
True story. And I just finished the life story of Terry Evanshen, a Canadian profootball player. It waS GOOD TOO. aNYONE CAN borrow it.