Monday, March 28, 2011

Just Being Me!

Sometimes I get caught up in trying to be an ideal. Or beat myself up for not fitting in. I realize my strengths and weaknesses and I really don't like some of my weaknesses. For instance, I am constantly trying to be organized. I have a girlfriend who was born-organized; I was not. I was born wanting to be organized! I realized this truth and it has brought me some comfort. I am different. Not a glaring, first impression, strange different, I don't think.

I've known this since high school, my girlfriends told me. I didn't connect with them like they did with each other. It's the same with my sisters. They are all quite crafty. (I am some what anti-craft, just not my forte.) I limit such projects. They are voracious fiction readers. I haven't read fiction since college. I am into non-fiction, self-help type books. (I get that from my dad.) Strange, I know. I am also fashion-challenged. I have the least amount of fashion sense in my family, my husband agrees. Mom has told me I dress older than she does. I have called Michelle and described my outfit to her (before camera phones were so prevalent) to see if I was okay to wear the ensemble. I consult my 10 year old daughter often for her budding fashionista approval. I think I have gotten better. I gave away the top that I think got that comment from my mom. But, at the same time, I have embraced my unique sense of style. For my birthday I decided I wanted a pair of Birkenstock sandals. I had a pair in high school. They were somewhat popular back then. Still, different. But, I love my Birks! I have been wearing them all around, even just around the house. I am embracing my uniqueness, in a new way. And I am loving it!

6 comments:

Tara said...

This did make me laugh! Congrats on accepting yourself! However, I think you are more like your sisters than you realize! Eliza is not a crafter, either. It's mostly me and Mich who enjoy it. I also love nonfiction! Probably every other book I read is a nonfiction/phsychology type book. I also have been wanting a pair of Birks too! Haha! I think they might be making a come back. ;)

P.S. When you were talking about being organized you reminded me of the 'discouraged perfectionist' that plagues first borns according to the Birth Order Book. You should totally read that book!

Aliece said...

I had that book and I cannot find it! I'm afraid I gave it away! It's good for parenting insights! Yeah, I was thinking Birks might be back with the bohemian style right now.

Michelle said...

Ha Ha Aliece! This made me laugh too. I definitely think we are all unique in our own way and this inspired me to embrace it. I don't feel like I have any style, so I thought it was funny when you called me. Tara makes fun of the things I wear sometimes. I prefer comfortable before fashionable. I really don't care what Stacie and Clinton think if I want to run to the grocery store in my pjs I do it. I always enjoyed having ballet in common. I always felt like it gave us a special bond. I don't think I could have danced as long as I did without you mentoring me. This post kind of made me want to get some Birks too! Love you!

Eliza said...

It's funny because you are more alike than you realize. Tara totally digs on self help books and like she said I'm definitely not super crafty. Also, I think that we individually could not be more different from each other. I look at all of us girls and see so many differences and so much uniqueness between all of us and I guess that's what makes us all great! I think it's your classic first born-ness that makes you THINK you are so different from us. And I was totally digging on your Birks the other day too! Made me remember my Birk loving days and I so want to get some again. Maybe we should all get a pair! :)

Grannie Wright said...

Its great to hear all of this. I was trying to figure out who it was. Then I saw Aliece's name on the bottom and started laughing. Its true we are all different but yet the same! Deep comment! HUH?! Love all you girls

Hardwick Family said...

haha!! I love this!! Tara is a tough one to go up against for me!! But I have to tell myself I have my strengths.. or maybe someday I will find them: ) But for now this makes me feel better.