Saturday, March 26, 2011

We like meat

Dan and I recently bought half of a cow, a butchered cow that is. I really hope that there are no Indians reading this right now because I am pretty sure cows are sacred in India. Somehow I feel like I fit in more here in Rexburg now that we did this. Because not only is it a college town, there are also a number of farmers and hick type people that live here. Don't believe me? All you have to do is go to a rodeo at the fairgrounds on the 4th of July and you will see for yourself. Just a random fact: Rexburg is estimated to be 95% LDS, I found that out on Wikipedia. (I randomly decided to search Rexburg, Idaho in Wikipedia and I found it quite interesting.) Anyway back to our cow. Dan took on the task of naming her Griselda. I know it's so morbid, and no this is not an actual picture of our cow.
It came out to be about $2.30 per pound and that includes our steaks and roasts as well, altogether about 200 hundred pounds of meat. We were also fortunate to be offered the opportunity of doing this by Dan's friend/coworker, so that is why we only bought half of one. Also they are storing it for us in their deep freezer so that's pretty sweet. It's great because, it's lean, tender, fresh, and I know where it came from. So much better than anything I have ever bought from the grocery store. So we had my in-laws over to meet Griselda. Boy were the bbq hamburgers delicious. We are pretty much a fan of anything bbq over here.

PS-Dan had steak for break fast twice this week. Oh you know it's just an "udder" day here at the Toone's casa.

5 comments:

Grannie Wright said...

We like meat too. Especially beef! Your Dad has been reading a book on low carbs. So he's really into this. I like Rexburg and the way they are taking carew of my little family. BTW, you got a very decent price. Way to go Toone's.
Love you guys.

Tara said...

I am in udder disbelief, like I am having a cow! Is this a mooooovement that is popular in Rexburg? I'm just trying to milk these comments for all that I can! ;) Still laughing actually...

Kris said...

I want to hoof it on over to your house and steak my claim. I guess its not bad to pick and eat your burgers especially when they are BBQ... I have always wanted to buy a cow so I'm kinda jealous... eat some meat for me.

Aliece said...

Yum! I'd buy a cow, butchered, of course!

Eliza said...

Kris always wanted to do this while we lived up there and I'll probably always feel bad that we never did it. Oh well, such is life! Enjoy your cow!