Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Happiness Project

For the past couple of weeks I have been reading, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Intellectual and informative books always take me longer to get through. But anyway, My book club at church read it. I have always wanted to be part of a book club and now I finally am! I have really enjoyed reading this. Gretchen maps out a 1 year happiness project doing different things to help enhance her overall well being and feeling of happiness. She wasn't depressed or anything she just wanted to be happier. I love this book because she takes charge of her own happiness. She doesn't let the world or whatever happens to her determine it. She doesn't tell you specifically what to do to be happy, but you can learn from her project. Besides, we all have different things we need to do to make ourselves happy.

There are some negative reviews on the book. Some people thought she sounded arrogant because she talks about her great life. But, I didn't feel that way. Possibly because I read reviews before hand, and I decided I didn't want to judge her (or judge her book by it's cover ba ha ha). It's not incredible writing, but I didn't need it to be. I have simply enjoyed learning from her everyday stories. It also helped me to realize that I am personally doing a lot of things to instigate my own happiness. However, I have so much to work on.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from the book (It's kinda long sorry), "To be happy, I need to think about feeling good, feeling bad and feeling right...To be happy I need to generate more positive emotions, so that I increase the amount of joy, pleasure, enthusiasm, gratitude, intimacy and friendship in my life. This wasn't hard to understand. I also needed to remove sources of bad feelings, so that I suffered less guilt, remorse, shame, anger envy, boredom and irritation. Also easy to understand. And apart from feeling more "good" and feeling less "bad", I saw that I also needed to consider feeling "right."

I just loved that quote when I read it, and I wrote it down in my journal so I would always have it handy. The author goes on to develop her, "First Splendid Truth" which is, "To be happy, I need to think about feeling good, feeling bad, and feeling right, in an atmosphere of growth."

So I have been working on having more positive thoughts this week. Like when I am feeling stressed out at my job I say, "I love my job, I love my job, I am grateful for the money, It's so convenient." It actually helps. I notice that when I am positive, I work faster. Another time I was craving a candy bar really bad and I said, "It might make you feel good right now, but the long term effects will make you feel worse." And I resisted. I am pretty proud of that one, but I can't always resist the sweets. Not now that we have a Neilsen's Frozen Custard in Rexburg now! Yay!
I hope you enjoyed the review. Peace out sistas.

3 comments:

Tara said...

THIS IS SOOOO CRAZY!!! I am reading this book right now, and I just read that quote, and I folded the page down so I could go back and write it down. Sister minds. I have not thought she was arrogant, although I can see what people are saying, I think they are misjudging her. I like all the research she did on happiness. Something that was good to learn was how not acting out on our anger is healthier than acting out on it. I was always one of those people who thought 'don't go to bed angry' philosophy was true, turns out it isn't. Well I am surprised I haven't called you fifty times fascinated by the things I'm learning. I'm trying to be less buggy...

P.S. How do you find the time to read???

Eliza said...

I've heard alot about this book and it definitely sounds like something that I need. I could use a little more happiness and a little less stress in my life right about now...:) Thanks for the review, now I feel like I know a little bit more about it maybe I'll actually go check it out.

Aliece said...

Mom had this book tonight at the ballgame. I think I will read it. (It takes me a lot longer to read. I need to carve out more time for it.) Rhonda (my MK Director) has been talking about the power of one and responding to people positively no matter what attitude they give to you. I think that goes along with being happy and not giving in to anger.