Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lesson Learned

I'm not sure who really reads this blog, but I think most people who do know that we have a gay sister, Britny. She is the youngest of all the kids. She is also probably the most outgoing, energetic, charismatic, and fun. And, yes she is gay. And, yes this can cause conflict, because of our faith. It is an issue I have given a lot of tears, prayers, and thought.

I can't imagine the internal struggles she has had to deal with growing up Mormon and having feelings of same sex attraction. I have watched my sister be tormented by others about her sexuality. I have seen her be judged; and at times I admit, I have judged her too. However, nothing makes me more infuriated than when I hear someone ignorantly talk about gay people. (Here comes Mama Bear) I could make a list of so many assholes people at Mountain View High School that inflicted extra pain upon people like my sister. It makes me feel sick to my stomach. That's a lecture for a different day. (But, honestly can people mind their own business? And if they are going to judge, can't they just keep it to themselves?)

What I really want to share is a lesson my sister recently taught me. We were having a conversation about how Britny hasn't felt loved by our family (hurts my heart so bad). And she said, "Tara, even if you committed murder I'd still love you." I responded with, "Yes, I'd still love you too, Brit, but you know I couldn't agree with your choice to murder, unless it was self defense." Then she replied, "Of course, I wouldn't agree with murder, but I'd fight like hell to make sure you never felt alone."

Lesson learned, Brit. We all go through times in our life of loneliness, and it is a horribly agonizing feeling. I'm sorry Brit has had to deal with more than her fair share of loneliness. Sister, I love you, we all do. Now go conquer the world, like I know you can.


 
Britny & my little Ivy hamming it up for the camera. April '11

4 comments:

Grannie Wright said...

I really am bawling as I read this to your dad. Very well said, Tara. We all love her so very much that it hurts. We are so thankful to have her back home! We love everyone tons, and tons!

sachia said...

We are here to love one another....regardless! Thanks for that beautiful reminder.

Eliza said...

We ALL love Brit so much! I do wish she really knew how much. If we didn't love her we wouldn't care so much! I too feel bad that she has at times felt so alone. I'm so glad she's home and closer and we get to spend more time with her! Love you Brit!

Aliece said...

Thanks, Tara! Mountain View for another day! Ugg! I LOVE YOU BRIT!!!