Monday, April 25, 2011

Decisions, Decisions . . .

Gone are the days when most decisions are made for us.  As a child, our parents guide, direct, limit and even determine our choices.  As an adult, however, it is up to us to make most of our choices.  (Why were we in such a hurry to grow up and have this control?)

So I go through this process of trying to decide.  Some decisions are easy, when I know what I want and it's ready for me.  How often does that happen?  I am indecisive.  I'm sure my parents could tell you how I drove them nuts trying to decide what to order at a restaurant.  Even still, Keith and I play a kind of game when we are out for dinner.  (I kind of like it because we always end up sharing! :)

When we decided to get married, we sealed the indecisive deal.  Marriage was a clear decision, but that was about it.  We are both indecisive.  Fun, huh?  We go through many processes when we are making most major decisions.  We talk about our options, debate, share our opinions, make pros vs cons lists, run numbers, fast and pray and poll any poor willing soul who will or must listen.  (Sorry everyone!)

So the decision we are debating right now is where to live.  It's driving me nuts! (See here.)  My biggest hang up right now is the elementary school.  My kids go to a unique school right now.  It is very student-centered.  They have over 300 students on boundary exceptions.  We love it!  We even get to request teachers and I know and love many teachers at the school.  Do I settle to move into a home that I may have to move out of in a few months to potentially stay in the school zone?  Or do we move and be settled for a while?  I don't know if I can convince Keith that we should get a boundary exception and drive our kids every day, 10 miles round trip.

Oh, decisions, decisions!  What would you do?

4 comments:

Owen Family said...

Avoid moving twice at all costs! Take it from someone who has never lived in the same house more than 4 years. If the school is really worth it, get a boundary exception.

Eliza said...

I totally hear what Patti is saying, but won't both places most likely be temporary. If the school is really important as well as not uprooting your kids more than necessary then I might stay in the school boundaries, if it gives you more time to find a home in the neighborhood and area that you want. If you're just prolonging the inevitable then I might just be anxious to get on with it and get settled. With gas prices the way they are and also having little ones to schlep around all day a boundary exception seems seriously inconvenient and would undoubtedly be stressful. Your kids are still young and would probably adjust easily enough but it can still be an emotional and difficult thing to keep moving around and switching schools, etc.

Michelle said...

At least you guys don't make any spur of the moment rash decisions that you regret later, right? Honestly, if I were you I might move into the more permanent house and get the boundary exception. The chances of those people keeping the house are not great. I feel like you would be moving right into the situation that you are in right now. Unless you really want to stay in the ward you are in right now, I say give give the permanent house a try.

Tara said...

Ugh! Decisions are the worst, but I usually like to just make them and get it over with. Haha. Well, I say that school is really amazing, and also rare. I think the waiting list says it all. I would have given anything to go to a school like that, so I would probably give the temporary house a try. But, I agree I hate to move! Good luck, at least you will have the confidence that you prayed about it. Good luck!!!