Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In a past life I. . .

As we prepare for our moving adventure (trying to be positive and not freak out, which by the way is our family anthem!) I am striving to purge (gotta love that word sometimes) the stuff we collect and gather and move without really using. I purged about 20 inches of paperwork I kept from college. It's less than two inches now. I must say I am proud of my accomplishment.
Even more, I am pleased I finished college with a 4-year degree. But let me tell you, it was with a different brain. I flipped through binders from at least 3 semesters of calculus, trigonometry, statistics, and math education theory. It is a different language. (Literally, calculus proofs with nothing but Greek letters.)  Ah, I remember enjoying some of my mathematical concepts courses a little too much.

(I am just amazed at my perfect score on this calc 2 exam, even if you can't read it!)
It truly seems like a different me. I have several different me's. After college, I was math teacher me. Teaching junior high mathematics requires a different brain! (Oh yeah.)
Before college I was dancer me. I danced for a modern dance company in Phoenix for a couple of years. I grew up with Ballet Etudes in Mesa and danced with them for many wonderful years.
And of course, high school me, junior high me and elementary school me. I'm sure most of us can relate to different stages of childhood. And childhood events that define us.
And now I am mom me. (Ha ha! I had to do it!) I have been a mother for over 10 years now. I still have moments where it's hard to fathom. I think,"I'm the mom." (Especially those moments of "mom-brain".) I guess I still don't feel ready to raise a child sometimes. I am such a work in progress myself. (I hope that doesn't sound horrible.)
Speaking of work . . . I need to get back to my purging and packing. Hopefully, I'm saving things that will have meaning to me when I see them again (when I eventually unpack, or we move again!)
And I hope my analogy isn't offensive to anyone. (I could go on how my kids are my professors now, but that would be bad.)

5 comments:

Tara said...

I don't know why you would think this post would be offensive to anyone? Good for you on getting your degree!

Eliza said...

Purging is good. I had to give Kris such a hard time about getting rid of most of his college textbooks. I'd be like are you seriously ever going to even look at this again? I can't really understand the love for math, I was more than excited to have the requirements for the scholastic diploma done as a sophmore and say good riddance to math! Life is interesting with all it's stages and phases. I still can hardly believe I'm as old as I am and I look around at all my kids and think, how and when did all of this happen?

Grannie Wright said...

Ahhhhhhhh! Such is life! It's really hard to believe that Dad and I have children with children. Almost eighteen to be exact! Grand children that is! But its pretty nice, I enjoy it.

Michelle said...

I definitely feel like I have different versions of myself as well. I kind of had an identity crisis when I became a Mom. Something my counselor helped with was integrating those parts of my life a little bit into motherhood. That's why I am taking piano and hip hop! I think you are a wonderful mother!

Aliece said...

Thanks everyone! Nice to hear you all feel the same way! Mom, you made me laugh, thanks for the perspective. Tara, I think when I first wrote this I thought it may seem like I was making light of mulitple personality disorders. Glad to know it didn't. Mich-that's one reasone why I do Mary Kay and you have renewed my interest in learning piano and spanish!