Monday, April 18, 2011

How do we do it?

About 20 years ago multi-tasking was the way to get things done.  Books were written on the subject about how to multi-task effectively.  More recently we hear multi-tasking is ineffective and inefficient.  Avoid it.  Don't do it.  Did they talk to any mothers?  I say it is our only way of life!  Keith is always telling me not to multi-task that studies have shown it doesn't work. What?  Do you want a home-cooked meal?  Clean clothes? Your children fed and bathed?  Let alone be able to walk in the house!

For example:  I can hardly talk on the phone without folding the laundry.  Laundry!  I love my washer and dryer!  They keep working when I walk away, if I could only get the clothes out of the dryer before they sit and wrinkle!  Cleaning the house is always vacuum a floor here, pick-up a room there, wash that mirror so I can see myself!  Not to mention all while looking out for, interacting with, feeding and taking care of the kids.

And then there's dinner.  I can hardly make dinner without helping with homework, feeding the baby and getting the family ready for the evening's activities.  I can't wait for water to boil!  And I can't help but see everything that needs to be done.  It's a huge first-born tendency, I know.  I am distracted throughout the day by things that want my attention or demand it, like a potty-training 2 year old or a 4 month old to hold.

What do we do?  Multi-task!  I don't know any other way.

5 comments:

Grannie Wright said...

Well Aliece, I'd have to agree that multi-tasking is the life of a Mom. I still do it to a degree. As much as I'm able to.

Eliza said...

Men have compartmentalized brains and this is why THEY cannot multi-task. Women, however, could not survive without it!

Tara said...

You know what I have been thinking about this very thing. I have noticed if I focus on just one task at a time (being mindful), I am personally more productive. Maybe it's just me but I find when I am multi-tasking too many tasks at one time, I don't remember what I was doing or take longer to do them if I just focused on that one task. I don't know, give me a few more kids, and that all might go out the window. :) Love ya Aliece.

Wright Sisters Write said...

I really don't think I can multi-task. Sometimes when I am watching tv or a movie, Dan tries to talk to me and I get so absorbed into whatever I am doing. I really zone in there. However, Tara has taught me that I need to do dishes while talking on the phone and sometimes I do. Yeah I don't think I will have a choice if I have more kids. Love you.

Wright Sisters Write said...

PS-Mich left that last comment.