Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's in a Name?


What's in a name? A whole heckovalot if you ask me. It's why I stress to no end in picking out the names of my children. Your name influences people's opinions of you, there is no getting around it. I once knew a girl who said studies have been shown that people with more common names are more popular and have more confidence than those who don't have common names. I can see how this might be. Although, I'm not sure if that holds much water in this day and age.


We live in a time where unique names and derivations of names are all the rage but then that has a seemingly reverse effect causing them skyrocket to the top of baby name lists. Take Nevaeh for example, it's heaven spelled backwards and I've never really been able to figure out why this name has become so popular. To me it's awkward and a little strange but apparently people love it because it has gained rapidly on the "lists".


And then there's someone like me. I'm named after great-great grandmas on both sides. Growing up I never knew another person with my name. And I LOVED it. I felt unique and individual, special, really. I was never popular though, so I guess that lends a little credence to my friend's theory. It wasn't until I was 14 that I met another Eliza and it kind of bugged me. Nowadays, I'll be at the park or a restaurant and hear my name, turn to look and realize it's a mom calling her young daughter. I haven't quite squared away my feelings over my name gaining a little popularity, but it doesn't bug me as much as it did when I was a teenager. I guess I feel a little like a pioneer, like I was one of the first one's with the name so I'm still special.


Now I am struggling with the task of finding a name for our new baby. For some reason girl names are really difficult for me, I agonize and search and ponder and ask people for their opinions. Sheesh, we had a boy name all picked out already and I'm even kind of a little sad that we aren't going to get to use it (well, I'll never say never but...). Maybe it's because I didn't dare let myself hope for a girl. I don't know though, because I suffered through this same agony with my first daughter. We didn't even have a name picked out after she was born and felt all the pressure at the hospital to get it done.


Then there's your last name. It's no secret how much we Wright girls loved our last name growing up. It's catchy, positive, it inspired a degree of confidence and pride in us, it came in handy for student council campaigns. We are proud of our strong family heritage and wanted to carry that on. And then we all went and got married and had to give it up. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love having the last name of a Sesame Street character now, but it just isn't quite as cool as having Wright for a last name.


And then our brothers had to go and get married and their wives got to take on our beloved last name. Now, that was kind of a weird feeling and talk about being a little bit jealous over that. But what do I know, maybe my sisters-in-law weren't too thrilled about giving up their maiden names? Don't worry girls- I have no hard feelings over you having Wright as a last name! :) And anyway, it doesn't really matter what last names we have now because we'll always be "Wright Girls" no matter what.


Ahhh, such is life! I guess I'll go back to playing the Name Game and hopefully in the end my daughter will wind up with a name she loves as much as I loved mine. (Both first and last!)


What do you think? How do you feel about YOUR name(s)?


All of us Wright Girls from left: Kindra, Aliece, Eliza, Kristi (she's not a Wright girl- that's Michelle's sis-in-law, and the only girl in her family) Michelle (the bride), Britny, Tara, and Emilie (and cut us some slack- half of us were prego at the time- Kindra, Aliece and Eliza; and Tara and Emilie had just given birth less than a month before!)

This was the only picture I could find that had everybody, it just happened to have one extra. :)

6 comments:

Tara said...

Oh this can be such a dreaded topic for me! I don't know how people can name their children without being stressed?!? I didn't know you had a boys name picked out and ready to go? I'm dying to know what it is/was now! I never really loved my name growing up, that might hurt mom's feelings (even though I am sure she prob isn't surprised) but I do think it suits me really well now. That is so neat you loved yours so much, I think it is a beautiful name, but mostly because I know you! Aw!

Kris said...

What do you mean Grover isn't as cool? There is no Wright muppet...

Grannie Wright said...

Kris is correct, there is no Wright muppet. Picking out names can be quite challenging. It takes a lot of effort and perhaps a little prayer. So you can humbly find out a little bit about the new spirit about to descend from above. Tara glad you like it now! Could you have gone through life named Emily?!

Hardwick Family said...

I am so glad you post this! You are the total reason that my daughter finally has a name!! Tara said you were thinking about doing Sicily.. and I like Cecily. I always worried about her being called Sicily all her life so I shyed away but something about seeing it spelled out in Taras text message to me saying you liked it, made me realize I had to do it bc Sicily is also very beautiful. so thank you!! And I am a fan of Uncommon names. I also like that no one had my name growing up. I think it gives you the potential to stand out in a good way!

Michelle said...

I have always felt really special to be named after Grandma Wright. It was difficult getting made fun of a couple times and people giving me funny looks when they find out my first name (Dan included), but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. One of my favorite high school teachers called me Norma. He would yell it out, NORMA! It made me feel cool and happy and I really think it helped me embrace it more. I feel closer to Grandma Wright because of it. I also like how Michelle is common, and being called Mich, not many Michelle's have that nickname. It's a little of my own identity. I know it's stressful but just have fun that you finally get to pick out a girl one!

Aliece said...

Oh yeah! Name spellings are hard too! I only ever let one person call me Alice, it was a teacher in high school. Go figure, huh Mich? I love unique names. When Audrey was 4 or 5 she told me, "Mom! You and Dad made me this way! You named me Audrey! And that's why I'm this way!" (I think I was trying to get her to clean her room.)