Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lost



 "Keep a close watch on Scarlet," were Wesley's last words to me before he left for the store. We were at the world's largest Easter Pageant, which seems ironic because it's in lil' ole Mesa where generations of my family (including all us sisters) were born and raised. Inevitably, the pageant turns into the world's largest family reunion. I usually end up meeting a relative for the first time, and my mom looks at me like I'm stupid that I didn't know it was so-and-so's daughter. Anyway, Wes had just left the temple grounds where the pageant was being held to pick up some last minute treats.

It was one of those perfect spring desert nights; no sweater necessary and no sweating required either. We were there with my two older sisters, their families, and our parents. I was sitting there thinking what an enjoyable time everyone seemed to be having, when I glanced back to check on Scarlet and realized she wasn't there.

"Scarlet?" I called with no response, seeing fifteen rows of vacant metal folding chairs staring back at me blankly. I jumped out of my seat, Ivy on my hip. I was not too concerned yet and called to the group of cousins, "Do you guys see Scarlet?"

It took a few moments of heads shaking no for it to sink in, that I really did not know where my child was. The pit in my stomach growing, my heart accelerating, hysteria was coming on. The crowd that once seemed familiar and fun had now turned into a crowd of strangers that seemed to grow with my anxiety- and quickly at that. All I could do was seem to whimper, "Scarlet??" Over and over again. My eyes welling with tears I looked to Eliza and stuttered, "What do I do?" I was very much frozen with fear, and dark thoughts of a predator stealing my little girl.

After a few hellish minutes, where I swear I quit breathing, I turned around to see an angelic sight. My brother-in-law Kris holding my precious girl, completely unaware of the commotion she had just caused me. I suddenly remembered to breathe. He had found her playing a few rows of chairs behind us. We couldn't see her at first glance, because the backs of the chairs were taller. Thank you Kris, for taking a closer look.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder; however, I would have to disagree. My heart seemed to grow weaker, and more quickly than I ever could have imagined. I do not ever want or need to experience that again to understand my love for my children. Little girls of mine, stay close to your mama! And answer when I call your name, dammit!

5 comments:

Kris said...

Been there, done that, know that feeling all too well. I'm glad she was found safe and sound.

Aliece said...

I remember when you got lost in a mall in Salt Lake City. We couldn't find you for about 10 minutes if I remember correctly. It's one of our worst fears as parents. Most recently, we've lost Walter after church. I was sure he had wandered outside, but he was in Sacrament Meeting with a different ward. They were wondering who's kid it was. (At least he didn't go up to the choir loft!)

Eliza said...

This is the worst feeling in the world! And kidnapping has to be my greatest fear as a parent even next to dying. I hate it when I lose a kid in a store and they are playing in the racks and there are so many fun hiding places and directions to sneak off in. It's hard to find a balance between being paranoid and being cautious. I'm glad she didn't get too far!

Michelle said...

I am so glad that she was safe Tara! I can't even imagine what you felt. There is one thing about Rexburg that I love and it's feeling safe. This post made me want to get a leash for Mia, she is crazy and wanders around everywhere.

Grannie Wright said...

OH man do I know that feeling, too. It's a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach that is just horrible! I am so thankful that it ended well! Love you all!!!