Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What's that smell? Oh, it's me cooking dinner

My first year of marriage I probably cooked my husband three meals. That's what happens when you are both working full time. Poor guy. Now that I'm at home and not working, I get a text every single day from him that says, "What's for dinner?" I usually say: something with chicken, or something with beef. Sometimes I say, is grilled cheese okay? Occasionally, I stick it to him and say, whatever you wanna make. But really, I figure being a Mom who stays at home it's part of my duty and role to make din din for the familia. Though it stresses me out sometimes, I enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes. I feel really accomplished when we eat a fabulous dinner that tastes amazing. I need to work on tasty, healthy recipes though. If I really want to feel like a good cook, I get the recipe from here: The thing I like about this book is that they try out lots of different ways and variations to cook a certain meal. That's how they find the best way. They explain in the book how they come to the best conclusion. Then they give you the recipe and walk you through it step by step with good details. It's more work and time but if you want to learn some really sweet skills in the kitchen you should get the book. It has never let us down. In my honest opinion it is the Bible of all cook books. The other day we were putting some good use to Griselda, our butchered cow. Remember when I introduced you? We had some cube steaks that we needed a recipe for so we found a good one in the book. It was for chicken fried steaks with gravy. Let me tell you the hubby always likes it when I cook, but this night he LOVED it. He is not acting in the pictures at all. Truly. I love it when I make him proud.

6 comments:

Eliza said...

Ok, so that does look pretty amazing! I think I'll have to go look up that recipe now. One of my favorite things to get when we would go out to eat was chicken fried chicken at the Black Eyed Pea before it closed down about 10 years ago. I still crave that dish, yours looks comparable, I wonder if we could substitute chicken in it? Mmmm, I'm getting hungry now. Man, I have been hating cooking dinner lately! I don't know if it's just the pregnancy, the warmer weather or the monotony of it all but I have been struggling! I am always wanting Kris to cook lately and then I feel bad because I know he works hard. I saw that cookbook, flipped through a few pages and thought man, that looks like a lot to read just to cook dinner, but now from what you said maybe I should take another look. You have reinspired me to get cooking!

Aliece said...

Fabulous Mich! I would say I'm inspried to be a better cook, but all I can do is think of the work that meal took. Sticking with simple these days. (Cooking for a crowd that doesn't help much with clean-up yet.) That is one of my favorite meals. I may have to ask you for the recipe/process. Or maybe I'll buy the book as you have raved about it before. I know it would be used - at least when I'm having a "Domestic Diva" moment. (That happens about once every 2 months.)

Tara said...

I can smell it! You made my mouth water, and you made wes jealous too! I wonder if it is illegal for you to post the recipe on the blog? Probably...darn.

Emilie said...

That looks delicious, Mich! In a month or two, when I'm cooking meat again, I'll have to try that. I think Neils would LOVE it. I've probably eaten meat 15 times in the last 5 months and just looking at that picture is making me crave meat. Dan is hilarious!! His face says it all! :)

Grannie Wright said...

Now I am really glad you gave me that book for my birthday! It sounds absolutely delicious! Totally yummy. Dan is pretty funny too. It's a good thing he's not acting. Love you Michelle. Glad you have Griselda to work with.

Tara said...

I think what I love most about these pictures is the TV trays in front of the couch! Hahaha! Dan is so funny!